ADVANCED TRAINING CERTIFICATION PROGRAM 2023-2024
The Advanced Training Program of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh is a graduate level program that incorporates advanced theory, practical and experiential learning, case consultation and personal and professional development. It provides an in-depth examination of the theoretical underpinnings of Gestalt therapy and techniques that build upon what was provided in the Two Year Gestalt Training Program for Professionals.
The Advanced Training Program is comprised of 8 weekends focusing on intensive learning and practice in the application of Gestalt Therapy. As we explore the curriculum we will focus on topics including specialty treatment areas such as couples and family therapy, addiction, abuse, trauma, diversity, body process, suicidality and ethics. These areas are of special interest to our faculty who will presentation them with theory, practice and supervision.
We will begin accepting applications in January 2023. If you are interested in applying please contact Dr. Petrone at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Dr. Maura Krushinski 412-310-5737 or Dr. Tom Petrone 412-310-7180. We are looking forward to talking with you about this unique learning experience.
Mission Statement: The mission of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh is educate, enlighten and excite trainees about the theory, integration and application of Gestalt therapy. Our Faculty provides the highest quality programs to individuals seeking training, personal development and support for their professional and personal endeavors. The Institute is guided by belief in the wholeness of human experience, adherence to the highest ethical standards and support of social justice values.
Program Description: This program provides participants the time and opportunity to develop and practice the foundational skills they acquired in a Two Year Training in Gestalt Therapy at an advanced level. It supports development from a practitioner of Gestalt theory and skills to becoming a more senior and more accomplished Gestalt therapist. The advanced program offers the opportunity for theoretical inquiry, skill development and personal growth experience necessary to integrate Gestalt theory and methodology into each therapist’s personal and professional therapeutic style.
Admission Requirements: *All applications for enrollment are reviewed on an individual, case-by-case basis.
The Advanced training program is designed for mental health professionals who:
- Have successfully completed and earned a certificate from a Two Year training program in Gestalt therapy or the equivalent course of studies at a Gestalt Institute (approved by GIP)
- Are practicing professionals in direct service or administrative roles in the public or private mental health sector, as well as professionals employed in positions that deal with employees’ emotional and mental health concerns, including but not limited to:
- Qualified mental health professionals holding a degree in their respective field at a Masters and/or Doctoral degree level.
- Licensed human services professionals including Psychologists, Social Workers, Licensed Professional Counselors and Marriage and Family therapists
- Teachers and school counselors in both educational and community settings.
- Graduate students preparing for professional careers in mental health disciplines, behavioral sciences, or in the area of human services in which Gestalt methods would be a relevant extension of basic professional competence.
- Professionals who are practicing law and specializing in mediation services
- Other Two Year Program graduates who are not practicing mental health professionals but meet the basic criteria for admission
Statement on Multicultural Considerations and Equitability: The field-theoretical and the phenomenological tenets as well as the principles of holism take, per definition, cultural differences into consideration. Implicit in its field-theoretical understanding is the fact that human beings are not islands but impacted by social influences as well as impactful on others. With respect to the existential field, each person shares a world with others in a variety of ways contributing to meaning and value. (Kirchner, 2000). As such the faculty of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh are dedicated to conveying respect to all program participants without bias toward gender, physical disability, culture, ethnic origin, spiritual/religious orientation, sexual orientation or other personal differences. It is the expectation of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh that all program participants will exercise the same principles.
Statement on Evaluation Process: The Institute faculty will consider the following key elements when determining each trainee’s eligibility for successful completion of the program and diploma:
- Attendance and participation
- Ongoing faculty assessment
- Peer input and evaluation
- Student self-evaluation
Statement of Intent: We believe it is vital for our Institute to ensure that our privacy policies are written in clear and understandable language so that our Trainees can easily grasp how their personal information is being handled. We conduct regular reviews and updates of privacy policies to remain in line with evolving laws and regulations and to address any changes in data handling practices within our organization.
Privacy Policies and Guidelines
- Third-Party Sharing: GIP does not share personal data with any third parties
- Data Collection: We clearly state to all trainees that we only request demographic information including names, contact information, demographic data, for the purposes of identifying each trainee for faculty member to address each trainee’s skill growth and development.
- Data Usage: We clearly state to all trainees that we share information only amongst faculty members to promote understanding and evaluation of each trainee’s progress throughout the duration of the Training program. No information is used for marketing purposes.
- Data Sharing: We clearly state to all trainees that no personal data will be shared with third parties under any circumstances.
- Data Retention: We clearly state to all trainees how long personal data will be retained and the criteria used for determining retention periods.
- Data Security: We clearly state to all trainees that measures are in place to protect personal information from unauthorized access, data breaches, or other security incidents.
- User Choices: We clearly state to all trainees how they can exercise their rights concerning their personal data
- Contact Information: We provide Contact details for trainees to reach out to GIP with questions or concerns about data privacy. Those details include providing the names and contact information of all GIP Faculty and staff and note that all information regarding privacy and grievances is available through the GIP website
Tuition for the Advanced Gestalt Training for Professionals Program is $2,300.00
Payment options are: 1. One payment of $2000. Due no later than the beginning of the training ($300 savings)
2. Two payments of $1100. ($2200) First payment due by the first weekend and second payment due the fifth weekend. ($100 Savings)
3. 8 payments of $287.50 due at the beginning of each training weekend If you require a different payment schedule, contact us to discuss options ASAP Please note payment can be paid by cash, or check without any extra fees. PayPal, Venmo or credit card payments are accepted but may require a processing fee. Please refer to the enclosed Financial Contract for complete payment details
- Describe in detail advanced understanding of three main components of the Gestalt psychotherapeutic approach, namely phenomenological-existential theory, field theory, and organismic metabolism.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency in and conduct essential Gestalt interventions including orienting/awareness techniques, integration techniques (empty chair, polarity identification), and projective techniques (dream analysis, fantasy/metaphor visualization exercises) within the context of culturally responsive and trauma informed application.
- Demonstrate and practice advanced proficiency in at least two essential Gestalt experiential group interventions, including group experiments, within the context of a Gestalt systems approach to group dynamics.
Program Overview and Schedule: Hours – Saturdays 9 to 5 and Sundays 9 to 4
Weekend Module Schedule:
- Saturday 9 to 5 (-1.5 break) = 6.6 hours
- Sunday 9 to 4 (-1.5 break) = 5.6 hours
- TOTAL HOURS per Module = 12 x 8 modules = 96 Program Hours
Program Content Schedule:
- Module One: Group Orientation/Contact Styles
- Module Two: Theoretical grounding/Ethics
- Module Three: Clinical Intentionality/Use of the Gestalt Cycle
- Module Four: Group Process/Systems
- Module Five: Trauma/Addiction
- Module Six: Body Process/Creative Arts
- Module Seven: Supervision/Clinical Intentionality
- Module Eight: Completing the Cycle – Review and Preparation for the Future
Curriculum Overview Gestalt
1. Group Orientation
- Contact Styles – review and self-awareness
- What do you remember from your training?
- Do you use the theory in your practice – exclusively or blended
- Group Process
2. Theoretical grounding
- Phenomenology/Existential underpinnings
- Figure frenzy
- Multiple figures
- Ground understanding
- Ethics and integrity
3. Clinical Intentionality
- Diagnosis and treatment planning/Suicidality
- Use of the Cycle of Experience – self and others
- Use of the experiment
- What makes the work Gestalt Therapy?
4. Group Process/Systems
- Integrated victimization
6. Body Process
- Creative Arts
- Human Sexuality
- Review of above topics
- Shared Clinical questions/feedback
8. Completing the Cycle – Review and Preparation for the Future
- What comes next/Being a Gestalt Therapist?
- Staying connected to the theory
- Group process
**Please note that content on Ethics and Suicidality that is required for licensed Mental Health professionals will be presented during the training in a format that will offer 3 CE credits for ethics and 1 credit for suicidality and suicide prevention at no additional cost.
- Eight 12.0 contact hour training modules that include:
- Education: Lecture, discussion, practice
- Practicum: Skill development learning lab – Triadic format supervised practice
- Personal growth and development: Support for personal growth and development
Faculty: This Advanced training program is staffed by The Faculty of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh. The members of the faculty of the Pittsburgh Gestalt Therapy Training Program for Professionals are practicing therapists with a broad base of experience and in-depth study of Gestalt Therapy. They have earned certificates for completing 2-year Gestalt Training programs and have completed advanced Training in Gestalt.
- Thomas Petrone, Ed.D. Licensed Psychologist, LPC, NCC
- Maura Krushinski, Ed.D. Licensed Psychologist, LPC, NCC, Approved Clinical Supervisor
- Kristy Carnahan MS.E.D., LPC, NCC
- Connie Kramer MS.E.D. LPC, NCC
Requirements for Acceptance:
- 2 year training certificate in Gestalt Therapy from an established Gestalt Institute
- Faculty interview
- Completed non-refundable application, and application fee
- Financial contract
Continuing Education Credit:
The Advanced program offers the opportunity to earn 96 Continuing Education credits through APA and NBCC. There is no provision for making up missed hours, and CE credit will not be awarded for partial attendance. Credit is awarded for each weekend completed in its entirety.
The Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GIP maintains responsibility for this program and its content. The Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5069. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GIP is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
Refund Policy: Cancelations up to 36 hours prior to Program start date will receive full tuition refunded minus a $100 cancelation fee.
Neither any faculty member nor The Gestalt Institute is funded by any entity who would benefit from the presentation of this program.