Advanced Training Certification Program
Thank you for your interest in the Advanced Training Program of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh. With this training opportunity we are offering a graduate level program that incorporates advanced theory, practical and experiential learning, case consultation and personal and professional development.
Please see the enclosed: application form, policy statement, program description and some of our thoughts regarding Gestalt. The next step is for you to return your completed application.
If you have any questions, please call. We are looking forward to joining you in this learning experience.
The Advanced Training Program comprises nine modules focusing on intensive learning and practice in the application of Gestalt Therapy. Students may request the curriculum to include specialty treatment areas such as child and family therapy, addictions, abuse issues women’s and men’s issues, gay and lesbian issues, body work, cross cultural issues, etc.
All applications for enrollment are reviewed on an individual basis.
Admission in to the training program is designed for mental health professionals who:
- Have successfully completed and earned a certificate from a Two Year training program in Gestalt therapy or the equivalent course of studies at a Gestalt Institute (approved by GIP)
- Are practicing professionals in direct service or administrative roles in the public or private mental health sector, as well as professionals employed in positions that deal with employees’ emotional and mental health concerns, including but not limited to:
- Qualified mental health professionals holding a degree in their respective field at a Masters and/or Doctoral degree level.
- Licensed human services professionals including Psychologists, Social Workers, Licensed Professional Counselors and Marriage and Family therapists
- Teachers and school counselors in both educational and community settings.
- Graduate students preparing for professional careers in mental health disciplines, behavioral sciences, or in the area of human services in which Gestalt methods would be a relevant extension of basic professional competence.
- Professionals who are practicing law and specializing in mediation services
- Other Two Year Program graduates who are not practicing mental health professionals but meet the basic criteria for admission
Trainees who meet program requirements for attendance and who demonstrate theoretical mastery, clinical application skills and personal integration of Gestalt theory and technique will be awarded certification as a Gestalt Therapist from the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh.
Through continuous formative and summative evaluation, the faculty will maintain dialogue with each trainee as they develop the competency level required to earn certification status.
Statement on Multicultural Considerations and Equitability:
The field-theoretical and the phenomenological tenets as well as the principles of holism take, per definition, cultural differences into consideration. Implicit in its field-theoretical understanding is the fact that human beings are not islands but impacted by social influences as well as impactful on others. With respect to the existential field, each person shares a world with others in a variety of ways contributing to meaning and value. (Kirchner, 2000). As such the Administrative staff and faculty of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh are dedicated to conveying respect to all program participants without bias toward gender, physical disability, culture, ethnic origin, spiritual/religious orientation, sexual orientation or other personal differences. It is the expectation of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh that all program participants will exercise the same principles.
Statement on Evaluation Process:
The Institute faculty will consider the following key elements when determining each trainee’s eligibility for and/or graduation from the program:
- Attendance and course participation
- Satisfactory completion of assignments
- Ongoing faculty assessment of work and presentations
- Peer input and evaluation
- Student self-evaluation
Tuition for the Advanced Gestalt Training for Professionals Program is $1500.00
- $1500 – 8 payments of $170 and 1 payment of 140 (total 1500).
Payments due at the beginning of each training weekend.
- $1400 – 2 payments of $700. ($100 discount)
First payment due on January 13, 2018 and the second due September 22, 2018.
- $1300 – Early registration Discount: ($200 discount)
Register by November 1, 2017 and receive a reduced tuition benefit
***Please note preferred payment method cash or check. Credit or debit requires a fee
**Please refer to the enclosed Financial Contract for complete payment details
Mission Statement: The mission of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh is to educate, enlighten and excite individuals and trainees about the theory, integration and application of Gestalt therapy. Our Faculty and staff provide the highest quality programs to individuals seeking training, personal development and support for their professional and personal endeavors. The Institute is guided by belief in the wholeness of human experience, adherence to the highest ethical standards and support of social justice values.
Program Description: This training certification program provides participants the time and opportunity to develop and practice the foundational skills they acquired in a Two Year Training in Gestalt Therapy at an advanced level. It supports development from a practitioner of Gestalt theory and skills to becoming a more senior and more accomplished Gestalt therapist. The advanced program offers the opportunity for theoretical inquiry, skill development and personal growth experience necessary to integrate Gestalt theory and methodology into each therapist’s personal and professional therapeutic style.
Nine training modules: 70.5 CE Credit Hours:
5 – 6.5 modules and 4 – 9.5 modules
- Training: Lecture, discussion, practice
- Practice: Skill development learning lab – Triadic format supervised practice
- Personal growth and development: Support for personal growth and development as well as building of collegial community
This 70.5-hour training program is staffed by The Faculty of the Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh. The members of the faculty of the Pittsburgh Gestalt Therapy Training Program for Professionals are practicing therapists with over 40 years of experience. They have earned certificates for completing 2-year Gestalt Training programs and have participated in advanced Gestalt training for more than 35 years.
- Thomas Petrone, Ed.D. Licensed Psychologist, Licensed Professional Counselor
- Marcia Turbiner, Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist, LPC, Certified Group Psychotherapist
- Denise Tervo Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist
- Stephanie Helsel Ph.D. Licensed Professional Counselor, Approved Clinical Supervisor
- Maura Krushinski, Ed.D. Licensed Psychologist, Licensed Professional Counselor
Requirements for Acceptance:
- 2 year training certificate
- Faculty interview
- Completed application, application fee and references
- Financial contract
70.5 Hours of Continuing Education Credit:
There is no provision for making up missed hours, and CE credit will not be awarded for partial attendance. Credit is awarded for each weekend completed in its entirety.
- The Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The Gestalt Institute of Pittsburgh is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.
- (NBCC Provider Number 5069)
Application Deadline: November 30, 2017